At FetLife we're looking for a Senior Rails Engineer to help us better serve the community.
As a Rails Engineer, you'll be working with the product team focusing on building, releasing, and testing new product features. Additionally, we're always looking for ways to improve our codebase to make it more performant and easier to maintain.
Currently, our entire platform is built as a majestic Rails monolith, using Vue.js with Typescript on the front-end. Additionally, we have some critical areas that have been written in Rust.
More details about our tech stack:
- Testing is done with RSpec & Capybara
- Continuous integration and deployment are done with CircleCI
- MySQL and PostgreSQL for our main databases
- ScyllaDB for our activity feeds
- Redis for session storage, queue management, and caching
- ElasticSearch for full-text search
- DevOps using Containers orchestrated with Kubernetes and Helm
- Service and performance monitoring is done with DataDog and NewRelic
Here are some past projects we've worked on that might help you get a better idea of what it means to work as a Rails Engineer at FetLife:
- Implemented a profile verification system from the ground up using government ID and/or pictures portraying a certain gesture
- Added discussion pre-moderation for groups
- Added support for installing FetLife as aÂ Progressive Web App
- Improved the efficiency of our Activity Feed Deliveries by splitting longer feed event deliveries into smaller async jobs and prioritizing delivery to more recently active members
- Introduced the possibility of tagging other members in pictures, videos, and writings
- Added powerful filtering to our on-site reporting system using ElasticSearch
- Improved location privacy for all our members by introducing granular location privacy settings
- Integrate Machine Learning solutions toÂ detect age or potentially illegal content
We're looking for someone who has proven experience building and maintaining large production-level Ruby on Rails applications in the past.
Ideally, you have experience:
- Working with Redis, MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Writing unit and integration tests using RSpec and Capybara
Additionally, since we're 100% remote, we:
- Highly value strong written communicators
- Require at least a few hours of overlap from 8-12 AM EST (2-6 PM CET)
FetLife is the largest kinky social network on this side of the Milky Way. We:
- Have over 10 million members and growing
- Grew 100% by word-of-mouth
- Serve over 1.5 billion requests a day
You can find our team and core valuesÂ here.
Pay & Benefits
We use a standardised salary calculator for each position to ensure we are competitive, fair, and consistent. For this specific role, the rate is between $115k - $170k USD / year. Rate is dependent on the level you are currently at.
Additionally, we offer:
- Paid time off:
- 2 weeks vacation
- 5 statutory holidays (e.g. Easter & Thanksgiving)
- 2 weeks during Christmas*
- 4-day workweeks during the summer months (July & August)
- 1 retreat a year (e.g. the last one's were in Malaga, Miami, Vancouver, Tennessee, and Montreal)
- A yearly anniversary gift of your choosing (200$ USD for every year with us, e.g. 4th anniversary is $800)
- Reimbursed music subscription
- Fully paid maternal or parental leave
Not guaranteed, but have happened every year
Note: We believe the traditional hiring process is broken, so we do things a bit differently. We first bring people as a part-time or full-time contractor so that we can get to know each other. If both sides enjoy working with each other, we make you an official offer.