Position- Director of Engineering
Who we are:
Athena is India's largest institution in the "premium undergraduate study abroad" space. Founded 9 years ago by two Princeton graduates, Poshak Agrawal and Rahul Subramaniam, Athena is headquartered in Gurgaon, with offices in Mumbai and Bangalore, and caters to students from 15 countries.
Athena's vision is to help students become the best version of themselves, and the mission is to create 50,000 global leaders. Athena’s Tech arm - HORA.ai, is a high caliber, multi-million dollar valued startup funded by the biggest names in Tech. The founding team consists of 3 Princeton University grads who are successful serial entrepreneurs. Our investors include Amit Singhal (former Global Head of Search at Google), Mike Novogratz (CEO of Galaxy Investment Partners), and Yuvraj Singh (co-founder of DMI Finance, a $2.2B alternative lending company).
We currently have a Tech team of 6 people and are for a Leader to drive the Technology and Strategy for both Athena and Hora with state-of-the-art Tech products. This is not your average cookie-cutter role - we are searching for a creative, analytical mind that will Drive the Engineering division at Athena.
This is a high stake Leadership role, and the individual will get challenging opportunities to work on and grow with the team and the company.
Key Skills :
- Self-guided missile
- Enjoys finding novel solutions to hard technical problems
- Optimistic team player
- A hard-working, humble disposition -we are looking for doers who think and thinkers who do.
- Enjoys hands-on, day-to-day work while having a bigger-picture view of the goals to accomplish.
- Strong sense of ethics and integrity.
- Desire to make a strong impact on the lives of millions through their work
You will be responsible for:
- Lead the software design, architecture, development, debugging, documentation, testing, deployment, maintenance, and improvement efforts
- Establish the roadmap and architecture based on the latest proven technologies and Athena’s and Hora’s needs
- Manage, lead and mentor other engineers and demonstrate best engineering practices with the team
- Lead the team to follow our software development process, including writing unit tests, performing code reviews, doing daily standups, setting OKRs and milestones, etc.
- Excellent experience in coding, including the ability to write well-crafted,well-tested, readable, and maintainable code
- Develop backend code for mobile applications and internal web tools
- Develop APIs for the mobile platform
- Own, innovate and maintain the backend infrastructure
- Code using cutting-edge tools in close collaboration with our Machine Learning team
- Stay on top of state-of-the-art technologies and apply them
- Collaborate with teams and share knowledge via tech talks and promote tech and engineering best practices within the team
- Ability to deep dive hands-on into coding, building scalable architecture and backend infrastructure
- Strong knowledge of “how to scale” a product, Dev ops (Docker/ Kubernetes), Messaging queues, Testing, Database design, Security Log management system
- Extremely hands-on in coding and a strong interest in leading a team.
- Knowledge of tech stack, which in our case is Node.js/GraphQL/TypeScript for API development, React.JS, JAva, PostgreSQL, AWS, and Python for data processing.
- Proven technical experience of 4-10 years of work-ex coupled with a strategic growth mindset
Skills:- Software architecture, NodeJS (Node.js), Java, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Database Design, GraphQL, TypeScript, API, React.js, PostgreSQL and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- BTech/BS degree/MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical field (preferably from Tier 1/IITs)
- 5+ years of relevant work experience is ideal
- (Big Plus!) Experience with a Startup or Entrepreneurial experience.