Headquarters: Seattle, WA
Wordfence is owned and operated by Defiant Inc. We are a small, dynamic, fast-growing, and profitable company with loyal customers who love our products and services. We are the global leader in WordPress security, protecting over 4 million websites. We regularly release high-quality software, firewall rules, and threat intelligence to millions of customers around the world. We also publish ground-breaking security research weekly that is covered by journalists and information security professionals and publications around the world.
If you are excited about working for a technology company that is securing a huge part of the Web and are looking for a full-time job with flexible hours working remotely, this may be your dream job! Our core hours are 10 am to 1 pm Pacific time and our team has flexibility outside those hours.
Full time salary of $95,000 to $110,000, depending on experience.
This position requires that you be eligible to work in the US without immigration assistance and that you currently live in the US.
We are currently hiring QA Analysts to:
- Test our eCommerce website and back-end systems.
- Test the Wordfence security plugin, deployed to over 4 million production WordPress websites.
- Test WordPress updates, and their compatibility with the websites that we maintain.
- Test other internal and external customer-facing web applications.
As a QA Analyst at Defiant you will be required to:
- Find new bugs in a web application, WordPress plugin or back-end application, or system.
- Discover the steps to reproduce a bug.
- Document the steps in a well-written bug report which you will file.
- Reproduce bugs reported by a customer or reported to you by our customer service team. This may require some research on your part, working with the CS team to understand what the customer reported, and finding out how to reproduce the issue.
- Verify fixes that have been implemented by the dev team and deployed to our staging environment. If you discover an issue, you'll assign the issue back to the dev team. If you verify the fix, you can mark it verified and move on, until the application or system is ready to be deployed to production.
Figuring Out What to Test and Testing Broadly
One of the skills that we value highly in great QA analysts is the ability to test broadly. What we mean by this is, rather than testing the minimum requirements when verifying a bug, we expect our analysts to come up with creative tests that may reveal problems in new code. This requires anticipating ways that a fix may affect other parts of an application or data.
Specific skills and activities that help with our approach of "testing broadly" are:
- Looking at the PHP code in a pull request, that a developer has implemented, to understand what changed, and get an idea of what else a code change may break, then testing those parts of a system.
- Using a SQL client to access the database that an application is interacting with and looking at the table structure and data. Understanding how a developer's code changes the data, and coming up with new tests, using this knowledge, that may reveal a bug.
- Looking at server error logs to determine if a test is failing silently, or creating output in the error log that may reveal a new area that can be tested to identify a bug.
The Required Skills for this role are:
- Experience working as a QA Analyst.
- Experience with Linux command line, command line tools, and using SSH are absolute prerequisites for this role.
- Experience filing bugs and verifying fixes in a bug tracking system like Fogbugz.
- Experience verifying bugs in a testing or staging environment, and sending them back to dev with helpful feedback, or marking them as fixed.
- Experience testing PHP web applications.
- Familiarity with accessing a SQL database using a SQL client, and knowledge of basic SQL is required.
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub is required. You will be reviewing pull requests to gain a deeper understanding of what you are testing. You will not be expected to commit code.
- Ability to read PHP code. Ability to write PHP is preferred.
- Experience with MySQL and using the MySQL client to interact with the database, or another SQL database client and server, at a minimum.
- Please fill in the form provided in this application. The hiring team will look at this first. The way you answer our form will determine if your application moves to the next step. Please note that we read every answer and this form is a critical part of our hiring process.
- Candidates who appear to have the right skills from the initial application will be sent a more detailed Assessment Test to further assess skills.
- Participate in a series of phone interviews. We are respectful of your time, and keep the number of interviews you will need to attend to a minimum. This is usually two or three interviews.
- All contracts and offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from a contract or employment with the company.
- Join our fast-paced team and start testing our products and and helping release software to over 4 million customers! All positions require a trial period of approximately 2-3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/defiant-inc-qa-analyst-1