Trellis is a full-service eCommerce agency with a single mission: make commerce simple. We help growth-focused companies succeed through strategy, design, development, and performance-based marketing services. As an award-winning, remote-first organization with headquarters in Boston, weâve had the pleasure of helping some amazing brands succeed in the world of eCommerce and across industries such as apparel, beauty, manufacturing, sports, and many more.
Our clients turn to us for our technological expertise and depend on our ability to deliver comprehensive solutions to their complex problems. Our remote Tech Leads are in charge of scoping, estimating, and providing those solutions and fill a vital role in helping in architecting technical requirements, estimating tickets, performing code reviews, handling escalations, and serving as experts in all things Shopify.
- Ready to lead a team of developers by adding technical details to tickets, architecting solutions, and estimating new or future work.
- Managing a daily flow of work and delegating work to other team members appropriately.
- Mentoring and teaching junior team members on topics related to Shopify development.
- Handling escalations of senior to mid-level of difficulty regarding any aspect of Shopify issues and frontend issues with HTML, CSS.
- Reviewing junior developers and promoting good development practices.
Weâre looking for individuals who thrive in dynamic environments, embrace process and organization, are detail-oriented, and enjoy using data to inform their decision-making. A great Tech Lead candidate will bring a blend of the following technical experience and professional skills to this opportunity:
- Mastery of all things Shopify, including app installation and configuration, adding custom functionality, server configuration, and custom app integration construction - Shopify 1.0 & 2.0 (ThemeKit & Shopify CLI)
- Experience leading a development team of 4 or more people, demonstrating strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of React.js is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of BigCommerce is highly preferred.
- Application of modern CSS concepts such as Grid CSS and Flexbox.
- Background in software engineering, object-oriented programming, database management, preferably on a LAMP stack.
- Ability to develop for a myriad of devices with differing screen sizes and resolutions.
- Understanding of web standards and accessibility, and experience building stateful web applications with client-side technologies.
- Experience using Git for version control.
- Experience integrating with external web services, like SOAP, REST, or Graph QL APIs, is recommended.
- Comfort using software development management tools like the Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc.) or a similar set of applications.
Success as a Tech Lead at Trellis requires a mastery of JIRA and Shopify. As such, weâre looking for candidates who either already possesses or could obtain both their âJIRA Essentialsâ certification and âShopify Theme Developerâ certification within the first three months of their time at Trellis. Given the importance we place on this, we cover all costs related to training and the certification as well as offer a bonus upon obtaining the certification. While not required, a Bachelorâs Degree in Computer Science or a related field of study is preferred.
- Social perceptiveness - Being aware of othersâ preferences, strengths, and weaknesses to manage expectations and distribute responsibilities.
- Instruction - Developing skills and knowledge in others.
- Coordination - Able to assess a situation and react quickly and appropriately with available resources.
- Complex problem solving - Translating business requirements into technical requirements with efficient and creative solutions.
- Persuasion - Translating expert advice on the best approach to solve a problem to clients and the development squad so everyone is in agreement and moves forward together.
Below are some of the tools that our Tech Leads use regularly:
- Shopify Admin
- Communications & Productivity
Working at Trellis
Trellis is a fast-growing, self-funded eCommerce agency with headquarters just outside of Boston. Weâre a remote-first organization with over 2/3 of our team distributed across the US and internationally. Work/life balance is priority with a range of benefits to our employees, including:
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Company-Paid Laptop and Home Office Equipment
- 12 Days Paid Holiday
- 20 Days Flexible PTO + Earned Seniority
- 25 Days Additional PTO for Parental Leave
- 401K with Employer Matching
- Donation Matching Program
- Education and Professional Development Bonuses
- Performance-Based Bonuses
- Benefits may vary by employee location
We structure our teams into âSquads,â providing an opportunity to build deep connections with colleagues and longer-term relationships with clients. We aim to provide an inclusive environment that encourages a diverse group of voices to contribute to our company. This inclusion is often in the form of employee-led âLunch & Learns,â employee-driven special interest groups, paired mentorship, and transparent career advancement policies. All of these initiatives stem from Trellis Core Principles:
- Be a Source of Honesty: Communicate transparently and act honestly with our clients, teammates, and community.
- Engage with Problem Solvers: Recruit and retain high-quality creative and technical employees that love solving problems and are empowered to do fantastic work.
- Support Growth: Encourage and support the growth of our clients and teammates, even when weâve made mistakes.
- Demonstrate through Results: Use results as the ultimate way to sell our ideas and capabilities.
Be sure to mention the word RESPONSIBLY and tag RMjYwMDoxZjEzOmM5MToxNzAwOmMxNjg6ODQ1YTozZmU1OjRlNTI= when applying to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human / RMjYwMDoxZjEzOmM5MToxNzAwOmMxNjg6ODQ1YTozZmU1OjRlNTI=.